11 April 2010

Mini album…

OK—I’m back again today with the first spread of the mini-album I talked about yesterday. Since I was in a pinky frame of mind yesterday (and the pink stuff was already out!) I decided to go with pink for the first spread. Since I’ve never done one of these things before, those who know me well know I’ve been thinking it to death!!! I’ve decided to go with cowgirl images throughout and I picked up some trim at the fabric store a couple of weeks ago that I’m going to use on every spread to tie the whole thing together. Before I show you my spread, I want to talk a little bit about the trim I’m using. I’m sure most of you know this little trick, but for those of you who don’t—I tea dyed the trim to tone down the colors and make it work better with the shabby nature of the album. Here’s a pic:

The trim on the left is straight off the spool, and the trim on the right has spent about 15 minutes in some hot tea. This is my favorite technique for “distressing” fabric-y items.I wasn’t sure how it would turn out since this trim is nylon, but it worked great!!

Now, on to the first spread of the album. Roni used what looked like cheesecloth to add texture to her album. I couldn’t find any at the fabric store, so I picked up some burlap instead. It was a bit of a challenge to work with!!! And once it was adhered with the gesso, it seemed like nothing else would stick to it. I got it eventually, though, and here is the result:


Here are the individual pages, if you’re interested.



I may need to embellish some more—let me know what you think! Now I need to get moving on the next verse so I can get caught up! Keep an eye out—maybe I can get that done and uploaded tomorrow night.

Anyway—this is my first foray into the world of collage images—let me know if it looks like I’m doing something wrong. I think I’m going to need all the help I can get with this project!!!!